Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Say Goodbye to the Ugly Grey File Cabinets!!!!!

I have planned to cover my file cabinets with contact paper for over a year. However, I never could find any that I LOVE! Then, the chevron fad came in which I am obsessed with and BOOM! School Aids was selling rolls of chevron contact paper. Robin made a trip to Beaumont and was going to swing by the teacher store for a few things. Bhuahahahahahaha! I said a FEW things! I am a little happy since I just had a slice of fruit pizza. Yumm-o! So, she got more than a few things but, I love her because she got me a few of those things too. She picked up the black and white for me and a chevron anchor chart. Who would have thought it? :) I went to the school today to finish leveling my books! Another post to come on all the jazz! I was sick of looking up books, labeling, and organizing. The chevron contact paper was staring at me. It was just sitting there on the green table and it looked so sad. So, the makeover began!

Materials Needed:
- Scissors
-contact paper of your choice
- yard stick or measuring tape
- screw driver
- credit card or license (for smoothing the paper)

1st step:

Empty all of the drawers and take them out of the cabinet.



2nd Step:

This depends on your file cabinet! Mine had a black cover with two flat head screws on it. I unscrewed it and it popped out. Then, you can just slip the hardware out of its position. You need to remember how to put it back so that your drawers open properly. I did one at a time so that I could look at one to figure out how it went back together.

3rd Step:
Measure the drawer and add an extra half inch to tuck it on the sides. Measure the contact paper and cut it to fit.

4th Step:
Stand the drawer up so that it’s easier to hold onto. I started with the corner of the contact paper pulled just about an inch of it back and stuck it to the top of the drawer. Use the credit card, slide it back and forth as you pull the paper down and stick it to the drawer. I pulled a little at a time and went over it with the card pressing firmly. If you see any bubbles, just run the card over them until they are gone. When you get to the bottom, check for bubbles. Smooth out any that you see with the card. Then, tuck the sides.


5th Step:
Put the hardware back on the drawer and put your drawer back in the cabinet!

6th Step: Admire your creation and enjoy!

Now is the perfect time to organize the files you are putting back into it. :0


By: Mollie Clark

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment